Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hello blogging world, my name is Kate!

Hello everyone!  I would like to thank you all for taking the time to read my first blog post, I'm pretty excited about it!  I decided to start a blog because I have a lot to say and figured why not share it with all of you.  I guess I will start by telling you a little about myself.  I'm 20 years old and have lived in Utah my whole life.  I am the daughter of an Atheist and a Christian.  As of now I don't know what I believe and honestly I'm in no rush to find out.  Though my parents religious view are vastly different, they were able to see past all that and have been happily married for 24 years.  Which, I think is a great example for us all!  They always want what is best for me and my siblings.  My dad has been telling me since I was a wee little one running through the mud, that I can do anything and everything boys can do and that a man is not needed in order to live a happy life. So it should be no surprise to you that I am indeed a feminist. Now I'm not the "Men suck and are all scum bags!" kind, but rather the "We are all people and should be treated as equals!" kind. It's also impart to my parents (well them and I think there is some part of me that was just born stubborn and independent) that I am so opinionated.  They have taught me to stand up for what I believe is right and to fight what I feel is unjust.  A girl with a mind of her own? Scary, I know! Which funnily enough is where I get my nickname.  When I was little my dad had nicknamed me Kate the Cursed in reference to Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew.  In the play Kate is a very independent woman with a mind of her own and refuses to give into anything less than what she wants for herself, but her father tries to impose societies wants on her. Sadly she is broken into submission by the end of the play, but I guarantee you that will not be the end of my story.  If you read the about me section of my blog you would have seen that I am into the arts, mainly theatre.  I believe the arts are a great way to express ones inner thoughts and feelings.  Theatre in particular is a great place for people to free themselves and feel they belong to something.  Every show I'm in or help out with I feel as if my family has grown.  They are like the family you get to choose, don't get me wrong I'm rather fond of the family I was born into, but you know what I mean!  I also feel it is a place where you get to know more about who you are as a person and how far you can push yourself to achieve what you had no idea you could.  I have seen plays move people's lives and change their out looks on the world. I don't think there has ever been a football game that has done that (I'm not a sports hater, I rather enjoy them, but they don't evoke thought).  Now on a more frivolous note, I am really big into clothes! Particularly 1940's and 50's fashion. There is something so amazing about the simplicity and class those decades brought to the world. Oh and the music from those era's can you say AMAZING!  I can't really think of anything more to write about myself...  I hope you will continue to read my posts and maybe we can discuss some things and share ideas. Thanks again for reading!
                Sincerely,
                        Kate the Cursed

No comments:

Post a Comment