Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Body. My Choice!



In light of the recent bill to remove federal funding from Planned Parenthood because of abortion, I have decided I'm going to put my opinion out there! 

First of all Planned Parenthood is a great tool in getting basic health care. They provided services like STD testing, cancer screenings and affordable contraception. Their website http://www.plannedparenthood.org provides all the information you need on birth control, body image, men and women's sexual health, sexuality, pregnancy, the morning after pill and yes, abortion. 

I wanted to know what exactly they say about abortion because that's what seems to me is the reason everyone's panties are in a twist. Here is what is on their website. 

"There are two kinds of abortion in the U.S. in-clinic abortion and the abortion pill.
Abortions are very common. In fact, more than 1 out of 3 women in the U.S. have an abortion by the time they are 45 years old.
If you are pregnant, you have options. If you are trying to decide if abortion is the right choice for you, you probably have many things to think about. Learning the facts about abortion may help you in making your decision. You may also want to learn more about parenting and adoption.
If you are under 18, your state may require one or both of your parents to give permission for your abortion or be told of your decision prior to the abortion. However, in most states you can ask a judge to excuse you from these requirements. Learn more about parental consent for abortion.
Only you can decide what is best for you. But we are here to help. A staff member at your local Planned Parenthood health center can discuss abortion and all of your options with you and help you find the services you need."
Hmmm doesn't sound so evil to me. In that paragraph they provide links so you can get more information on what ever it is you are going to decide. Even links on parenting and adoption. They are not telling you to go out and get an abortion they are giving you facts so you can make the best decision for you as a woman. They also make sure you know the laws in your state about parental consent.  

Now lets talk about abortion. I believe it is a woman's choice to do with her body as she pleases.  And nothing makes me crazier than a room full of men deciding a woman's future! Men don't have to carry the child, their bodies don't blow up like a balloon and they sure as hell don't have to stick around once the baby is born. (Not that all women stick around, it's just the most common scenario.) The point is men will never have to deal with getting pregnant and having to face this choice. So why should they get to decided what I choose if the situation ever presents it's self to me? I'm a capable person who can think for herself and I DO NOT need someone to decide for me! With that said for me personally I don't think I would get an abortion, but that doesn't mean I would ever stop or think ill of someone who does!

I was talking to my grandma on the phone and she asked me what I was doing. I told her I was writing this blog post and she told me "Good for you! Back when I was younger abortion was illegal and so girls had closet hanger abortions and a lot of them died. People are going to do what they want no matter what!". Good point grandma!!! It's better to have the facts and get a safe abortion rather than the shady alley way abortion that will most likely lead to your death! and Planned Parenthood provides you with that information!

I want to make it very clear that I don't think the choice of abortion should be taken lightly and that you need to look at all your options, but I also believe that it NEEDS to be one of your options! The only thing Planned Parenthood is guilty of is letting you know you have options and to take their federal funding away for that is ridiculous! A doctor could do the exact same thing, just for more money!

 Planned Parenthood is a place where people go when they need help and need information! And to take that away would be devastating. How many people would go around not know they had an STD? How many people would go around not knowing they had cancer? They help millions every year and if they loose federal funding the possibility of STD, pregnancy and abortions rates climbing significantly will increase! So lets think about this. Have a place where people can get affordable healthcare or take that away and leave them to fend for themselves? 

3 comments:

  1. I think it's funny they are trying to remove the funding because of abortion, but none of the federal funding goes towards it. Planned Parenthood has individuals pay for certain services, abortion is one of them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad people are talking about the conservative threat to Title X funding. Can you imagine the public health disaster that would result if family planning funding were eliminated?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be a complete disaster, especially for the poor and uneducated. It's places like Planned Parenthood who make it possible for them to afford family planning support.

    ReplyDelete